Sunday, October 2, 2011

Eggplants in Seattle, Episode 3: Issaquah Farmer’s Market

The farmer’s market in Issaquah is one of the largest and nicest I’ve seen, including about half a dozen flower stalls, bakeries, food stands, fresh pasta in bizarre flavors, dozens of fruit and vegetable vendors, handmade soaps and crafts, and even live entertainment. In a setting like this, eggplants weren’t hard to find.  I observed them peeking around every corner.





But for the most part, the market did not feature unusual varieties of eggplant. The sole exception was Darrell from Westover Farm in Maple Valley, who sells a Japanese/Chinese variety called Kaga Nasu. These large, bulbous eggplants are special in that they are virtually seedless. Westover Farm attests that they are the only vendor for this variety in the area, with the next closest residing in Portland.

"Nasu" meaning "eggplant" in Japanese


At this stage, I would normally demonstrate what I did with the Kaga Nasu eggplant we bought – Farmer Darrell recommended slicing it into thick “steaks” and grilling with olive oil – but on our busy trip, we didn’t have a chance to cook it before the top of the eggplant softened with rot. I cut the top off and left it in my grandparents’ fridge, where it hopefully will get chopped up and put in the daily frittata. Ah vell.

Also, one more note: GRILLING. OMG. I don’t have a grill, and therefore can’t fully express to you the wonders of grilled eggplant.

The product of my uncle's master-grilling.

 In the meantime, I’m going to experiment with attaining that smoky flavor in the oven. Supposedly if you coat the eggplant skin in oil first before baking it, the burning oil smokes the eggplant slightly, but I have yet to attain good results.

3 comments:

  1. Seems like you could grill them cut side down on the gas flame of your stove. Might set off your smoke alarm - and be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've tried that, and maybe it would work if I baked them after -- but I can never actually cook the eggplant through that way. I usually end up with a spongy part in the center and grilled stuff outside. I'll experiment with a combination of gas-flaming and oven...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a gorge forman grill if you ever want to use that for grilling.

    ReplyDelete