Monday, October 17, 2011

Eggplants of Chinatown, Episode 2: Eggplant with garlic sauce

Last week I paid another visit to Lao Sze Chuan in Chicago's Chinatown -- but I was discouraged from being adventurous owing to my negative experience last time, in which my eggplant dish swam in so much oil that it gave me indigestion. This visit, I opted for the boring but ever-tasty eggplant with garlic sauce, a safe choice. 



Facts:

This dish is delicious.
I am incapable of making it.
This needs to change. 

And since most of us know what eggplant with garlic sauce tastes like, this entry is now terminated.


BUT WAIT
I made leek and fennel tarts today! They... may or may not have excluded eggplant... but a photo couldn't hurt... because I'll put eggplant in the next tarts, I promise...

My form of "studying" for my French translation exam tomorrow. Caramelized leeks, fennel, onions, custard, with some asparagus on top and a rosemary olive oil crust.

3 comments:

  1. I've had delicious eggplant in garlic sauce made by the Aubergenius herself. What is different about Lao Sze Chuan's that you can't capture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, I did make it really well that one time. But I've never made it successfully since. Maybe the key is that high-quality black vinegar of Aunt Susan's...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try adding sesame oil! It's very fragrant and adds a nice subtle taste.

    ReplyDelete