Monday, September 26, 2011

Eggplants in Seattle, Episode 2: Russian Eggplant Caviar

Last week we were invited for dinner at my uncle’s girlfriend’s stylish downtown loft. Marina is from Russia, hence the dinner was a blur of delicious Russian dishes.



Including a picture-perfect plum tart and piroshki [that contained no eggplant and will be featured regardless because they were so yummy].



Marina also made an eggplant dish that she called “eggplant caviar.” It consists of eggplant, tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, and parsley, chopped up and simmered into a caponata-like salad. The flavor was similar to imam bayildi, but with less tomato-ness.


Here’s how to make it:

Cube the eggplants and chop the onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.

Garlic choppin'.

After sauteeing the eggplants in oil, with salt added, toss in the onions.

Then add the carrots and garlic a little while later.

The author demonstrates proper stirring technique.

After the eggplant-onion-carrots mixture has cooked down, add the tomatoes.

A little while later, add chopped parsley.

Simmer the mixture with a closed pot until it looks like this. Then season with more salt and black pepper, to taste.

The result. Like most Russian dishes, it is simple yet delicious. (I say "yet" because I'm accustomed to putting a million spices in my food. But it's not always necessary -- a well-salted dish is often just as tasty.)

3 comments:

  1. I love the speed-of-light garlic chopping photo. Looks delish!

    Also, I have a request. Do you do requests? I was thinking about a way to make eggplant with pomegranate molasses - I feel like it'd be a delicious combination since eggplant takes sweet/sour really well. Maybe roasted? Like a pomegranate molasses glaze? How would one go about that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you are absolutely right, eggplant goes great with pomegranate molasses. It's funny you mention it, because my favorite variety of baba ghanoush contains pomegranate molasses and balsamic vinegar, a Syrian version that's darker and richer than the usual lemon kind. I haven't featured this recipe on my blog yet because I wanted to make a bigger deal of it somehow (since baba g. is such a classic), so I was hoping to make a few different varieties and have people over to do a taste test, then feature those pics. Interested in participating in a baba ghanoush taste test?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time he's chopping the garlic robotically.

    ReplyDelete