Sunday, June 5, 2016

Roasted eggplant slices with herbaceous pesto

I'm always frustrated when fresh herbs go bad. So many groceries sell cilantro or parsley in bunches that are big enough to double as switches in a Russian banya.

So naturally I've been experimenting with techniques for using up fresh herbs. My most recent success is a hybrid of chimichurri sauce and pesto, with four different kinds of herbs. It's refreshing, vegan, and "zesty" (I use that word sparingly and with quotation-mark kid-gloves to avoid becoming a food blog cliché).

The pesto is great on virtually everything: tomatoes, rice noodles, tortillas, baked potatoes, avocados, salad, sandwiches... am I forgetting something?

OH YEEEEAH you can also put it on eggplant.




I made this particular batch with a large quantity of Thai basil. I've been growing it in my herb planter and trying desperately to keep the basil from bolting, to no avail. (For those n00bs without a green thumb in sight: when basil bolts, it grows tall and flowers and its leaves become bitter. Usually you can prune it into obedience, but I guess I'm a lenient basil master. [Er... right.])

Stop growing, dammit!

So I finally made the hard decision to strip my Thai basil down, pull up all but a single plant, and make room for my little tiny basil babies that I germinated from seed.

D'awwwwww.
Grow free, tiny basils, grow free!

Thai basil has a great flavor, like a cross between genovese basil, tarragon, and a hint of anise (with that same sweet black-licorice aftertaste). I wouldn't mind someday growing a ton of it in my imaginary future garden and making a pesto out of Thai basil alone.




Herbaceous Pesto
with zesto

Ingredients
Tons of cilantro
Tons of parsley
Thai basil (or regular basil)
Mint
Fresh ginger
Large handful of cashews (or cashew butter)
Lime juice
Dash of red wine vinegar (if it needs extra zest)
Salt
Water (just enough to grind smoothly in the food processor)

Method
Process food.

It's a jungle in there.


Serving suggestion
Dump on roasted eggplant slices, because this is an eggplant blog.


It is genuinely truly very delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Looks/sounds/smells delicious! That last in my mind's nose. So glad you're growing herbs.

    ReplyDelete