Saturday, October 24, 2015

NUKE THAT VEG

Can you microwave eggplant?

Somehow I've never posed this question until now. It struck me as weirdly trashy. I assumed that without being roasted in oil or charred on the gas stove or fried, eggplant would taste bland and terrible. (And I guess despite owning a microwave, I have a bit of analog snobbery built in.)

But if you think about it, roasting a whole eggplant in the oven is not that different from microwaving. The roasty flavor doesn't usually reach the inside flesh, which gets just plain mushy.

So when a friend offered to demonstrate the so-called "nuke the bejeezus out of an eggplant" method, I figured I should let go of my aubergine snobbery and give it a try. As long as you sauté the microwaved eggplant in tasty oily stuff, it turns out great -- and most importantly, my Moroccan Zaalouk only took 20 minutes.


Delicious warm...

...or cold!

Nuke Zaalouk
Ingredients
1 large eggplant
1 onion, diced
1 red and 1 green pepper, diced
a few fresh tomatoes, diced
a spoonful of tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil
salt, pepper, cumin, paprika
parsley or cilantro

Slice eggplant in half and microwave for around 4-5 minutes on each side (total of 8-10 minutes).

Fry up onions, peppers, and spices in olive oil. Add garlic, tomatoes and tomato paste to the mix.

Remove skin and mash up the eggplant flesh.

Sauté together with the other ingredients and salt to taste. This photo doesn't look terribly appetizing (wokbarf?), but the final product is much more photogenic:

Yum! Eaten with dolmas, fried tempeh, tahini sauce, and pita. 
...and a pomegranate for dessert.

The next day it tastes even better!




No comments:

Post a Comment