Wednesday, December 25, 2013

More Eggplant Denverings

In my last entry, I mentioned the amazing cooking of my Aunt Susan. I'm fortunate to have many inspiring home cooks in my family: my mother and her two sisters are all incredibly skilled and creative in the kitchen, and yet each sister has her own distinctive cooking style. I think if you served me three dishes, one from each sister, I could tell them apart -- and it wouldn't be possible for me to choose a favorite. Many years ago my cousin suggested that we collect recipes into a "three sisters" cookbook, and I still think it's a great idea... if any of us had the time or resources to actually create such a thing.

Whenever I visit Denver, my hometown, I'm always eager to cook with my Aunt Barb, who makes amazing dishes that span every cuisine across the world. Most of the time I'm afraid to cook East Asian (of any kind: Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese... you name it). I seem to have an East Asian curse, in which everything I make turns out horrible nomatter what recipe I use, nomatter how authentic the ingredients are, nomatter how much advice I get from my more experienced Aunt-chefs. Last night, for example, I made a hot-and-sour noodle soup slightly thickened with tapioca starch... except the soup tastes terrible and the starch refused to dissolve, resulting in little blobs of jelly swimming around in there like aspic bubbles or those tiny creatures that wash up on the beach. Gross.

When I visited Denver this past Thanksgiving, my Aunt Barb served a far more successful -- and totally beautiful -- Asian meal, which did in fact include eggplants.

An amazingly colorful meal: scallion pancakes, spring rolls, ginger-lime-leaf cabbage slaw, and tons of different dipping sauces. 

The eggplants were cut into strips, roasted, and rolled up inside spring rolls. The rolls also contained wedges of avocado, smoked tofu, and asparagus.



And everything was truly as delicious as it looks.

***
This completes my trio of Christmas entries, none of which I should be writing right now. 
Procrastination complete. 
3, 2, 1... initiate proposal-writing.

2 comments:

  1. That does look amazing. I was so busy working the week you posted it, I didn't realize it was there until now. As one of the sisters you have so highly praised, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found this after losing track of your blog, which I could have used today when trying to figure out what to do with 7 gorgeous baby eggplants that took themselves home with me yesterday. I wound up making a very peculiar dish with stuffed baby eggplants using none of the ingredients listed in the recipe I found. Aubergenius where were you when I needed you? (by the way, unless memory ill serves me in my dotage...those gorgeous plates on your Aunt Barb's table are from Aunt Mimi's home. Barb has the most extensive collection of dishes and serving plates I've ever seen, courtesy of decades of garage sales and thrift shops as well as hand-me-downs in the family. Whatever the cuisine and however many guests at her table, she has the right dishes to make a beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete